What Should I Carry When Checking Into Rehab
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
Rehab centres have strict policies in place regard what an inpatient can bring with him or her. A list of allowed objects and forbidden ones is presented by most clinics.
The admission process begins as soon as you check in. Your clinic's welcome staff will check your bags to guarantee safety and that nothing forbidden is sneaked through. All the details of what you came in with will be recorded in the patient property book.
Supplies are permitted in the therapy clinics. The policies on the kind of items you can carry will vary according to the centres.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Get The Packing Information
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. In case this page is missing, you must check the FAQ page which too can contain packing information. You can do your packing with packing specifications that some clinics provide. If you are still unable to find the information required you are advised to contact the admissions office of the rehab. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. This will also be an opportune moment for you to inquire about anything that you were not sure with.
The Things That Are Necessities In Many Rehabs
It is a given that rules vary from one centre to another, others are still while others are a bit lenient.
Majority of centres advise patients to bring these
- The contact details of the people close to the patient.
- You are also allowed to carry the jewellery which is used regularly and is considered as a necessity like your wedding rings or a watch.
- Other items can just be left at home.
- A clock with an alarm but not one with radio.
- Some centres are known to supply these items, and therefore, it would be better to verify this particular item before venturing out into the market to purchase them.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- Medication in liquid form should be sealed and in the freshest condition.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- A bit of cash (from £50 to £100 in small bills for store runs, vending machine, etc.)
- Credit cards that will be used to cater for the expenses inside the rehab.
- Bring along your insurance card as well as documents needed for personal identity verification.
- A calling card [if the facility chosen by you needs them for long-distance phone calls].
- A journal or diary.
- Envelopes or stamps in instances where you need to write and mail letters to friends and family.
- Pictures of relatives and friends that you can have in your room or wallet.
- There are some items that you will get inside the rehab.
- If you wish to carry reading materials for yourselves, you must understand that the subjects must only be on the recovery, self-help and spiritually oriented.
- TIP It is recommended that you carry just paperback books because they are easy to carry around than hardcovers.
The Attire You Should Have With You
Be conscious of any limitations on the dress code while packing because most clinics have one. In case you are not aware about how the weather will be like, carry some summer as well as winter clothes with you.
Bear in mind that the space within your room could be limited, and therefore, you are advised not to over pack.
There will be provisions for you to clean clothes in the facility. It is best to take along only those clothes that can be cleaned easily.
Keep the weather in mind and bring a seven day weather-appropriate set of clothes like.
- Shoes Regular everyday shoes, sports shoes, and shower shoes.
- Shirts Make sure you bring cardigans that should be worn with tank tops in order to respect the dress code.
- Shorts Lengths may be determined by the centre to comply with a dress code.
- Dressy outfits for special occasions like the family night will also be useful.
- A bathing suit; At least one.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- A bath robe.
- A belt.
- A hat some centres do not permit hats indoors.
Beauty And Hygiene Products To Pack
All personal hygiene and beauty items have to be 100% alcohol-free in most rehabilitation centres. Some allow alcohol-containing products only when alcohol doesn't feature in the first three ingredients. No aerosols are allowed.
You should hygiene and cosmetic products that should last a month
- A toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling spray
- Hygiene products for women
- Shaving cream
Items That Are Prohibited In Rehab
A severe set of regulations and forbidden objects are present in every clinic. These are important to warrant a safe environment that is conducive to your wellness and recovery. Most of the following item are not allowed in many rehabs
- Liquor and any form of drug
- Sedatives or forbidden prescriptions
- Arms (pistols, blades, scissors, piercing objects, etc.)
- Materials with sexual content
- Food or drinks
- Body sprays with alcohol content
- Electronic cigarettes
- Unsealed over-the-counter medicines
- Nail polish, polish remover or synthetic nail associated products
- Video games and movies in any media
- Sporting equipment
- Revealing attire (tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff bearing tops, etc.)
- Body sprays with strong cents
- Cleaning agents like bleach or ammonia
- Any forms of electronic equipment.
- Incense and candles
- Clothing with vulgarity or reference to drugs, booze or violence
One may not imagine that some of these items could be banned. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. However, some of the rehabs could facilitate you to get these equipments on some days.
Outside catering is also prohibited because the food you eat needs to be according to the standards. You will be provided with three meals a day, snacks and beverages. You should inform your facility beforehand in case you are on a special diet.
These Items Are Allowed By Some But Prohibited By Others
Because policies differ from centre to centre, it is possible to find that some items are allowed in one and not in another. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Computer Equipment
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- Just make sure that your chargers and power cords are brought with you.
- Some facilities will allow you to bring in cigarettes if you are a smoker.
- However, you may be restricted in the number of cigarettes you are to take in a day.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- They have to be new not previously opened.
- Gums too should be unopened and sealed during admission.
- MP3 and CD Players
- It is sometimes possible to carry items that don't have an internet connection or speakers.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Because there is risk of injury, many centres don't allow them.
- You can bring disposable razors with you.
- Nail Clippers
- It depends with the requirement in the facility.
- Objects That Make You Feel At Home
- The rehabs allow you to come with things that will make you feel as comfortable as possible just like you are at home.
- Before packing any of these items you should double check with the chosen rehab centres, whether they allow such items.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
In cases where you have brought a banned or prohibited item, just keep calm and cooperate. The forbidden objects that you carried to the clinic will be given back to the person who took you there. Many others will hold the items for 24 hours until someone comes over to pick them up. In some cases, the centres may decide to store the items for you until your departure.
In case you live alone and are planning to check in by yourself. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. You also need to be sure of the safety of your items if they are not allowed inside the facility. If the centres do not store the items, you can ask them to ship them back for you.
Preparing Your Stuff For Rehab If you have doubts about some object review your clinic's regulations. Ask for a checklist whenever available so you can use as a guide. Don't pack too many things; only carry things you need.
Receive Help Now
There are a lot of facilities that permits you to personal items to decorate or personalize your space. Our treatment specialists can provide you the assistance needed to find a centre best suited to your requirements.
We can help you find the best centre, call us today on 0800 246 1509.