10 Tips For Staying Alcohol Free After Rehab In York Within York Drug Rehab
You're just about to re-enter society after a lengthy stay in rehab. While you think about your future, you feel nervous and uncertain.
You know you could relapse despite your desire to stay clean. To make sure that you stay free of drugs and alcohol abuse, you can try following these tips
- Find And Remain In Aftercare
- You can easily discover the support you need to stay sober if you decide to maintain a long and an intense commitment to aftercare therapy.
- Aftercare not only helps with retaining focus on sobriety but also keeps you grounded.
- Not going to an aftercare program will make it much easier for you to relapse at some point.
- People who are realistic and do not neglect aftercare therapies are known to have the greatest rate of sobriety.
- Keep Busy
- You had made a commitment to yourself not to hang around with people that you earlier were friends with before you embarked upon a journey to a treatment because you do not want to be close to alcohol or drugs.
- Despite being a great step it could leave you with the feeling of loneliness.
- You should be calling a support group such as us, trusted friends, etc. when you begin feeling the need to have a drink or two of sheer boredom, restlessness and loneliness.
- Many former alcoholics are unaware of how to spend their time without drinking.
- You can find it much easier to get used to your new life if you make new friends or if you try your hand at new hobbies.
- Finding employment can also keep you occupied because it will also help with feelings of self-worth because you are making wise decisions.
- Take Care Of Yourself
- There are a number of things, which can trigger a craving.
- You can begin to crave for alcohol when you are hungry, angry, lonely or tired even when it is least expected.
- Looking after your physical and emotional well being will help minimize risk.
- You can take better care of yourself if you start eating properly, if you get plenty of sleep and if you make a list of sober friends you can trust.
- Keep Up With Your Relapse Prevention Instructions
- Having put in a lot of effort while in treatment, you will be mentally ready for the different circumstances that could result in relapse.
- You should be using the knowledge you gained diligently during the first year, and you will realise that it will help you out of many situations.
- Former users that disregard the triggers and conditions that might cause a relapse and also disregard this fresh knowledge and experience are taking a great risk.
- A crucial thing for your recovery is this understanding of Relapse Awareness and it should be followed rigorously.
- If You Slip And Drink Again, Don't Fall Back Into Full-blown Abuse
- Even the most focused and dedicated recovering individuals can fall into relapse.
- It takes a dedication for life and a plan of action to stay sober; however, don't be too hard on yourself if you happen to have a relapse because that can lead back to a complete addiction.
- You shouldn't allow yourself to fall back into addiction which is easy if you allow regret to overwhelm you.
- If you do slip, don't feel lost and call us immediately and discuss why you used, what the triggers were and how you are feeling.
- Listen To The Suggestions From Us
- Our specialty is helping alcoholics learn how to get by without taking alcohol.
- We have vast experience and resources which allows us to know what works and what does not.
- Heed the advice that you get from us.
- We give material, sound advice and our goal is for you to stay sober after leaving rehab.
- Talk To Your Loved Ones
- Communicating openly with friends and family is an excellent way of making sure you keep making healthy decisions after rehab.
- Share your feelings with your family.
- Maybe you are nervous, or lonely, or bored.
- Relapse can be triggered by all emotions, even by some great ones.
- You'll be able to make better decisions by talking to your family and the talking will also help to develop a better relationship with them.
- Develop A Support System And Safety Net
- You should begin to participate in your aftercare program as soon as you leave treatment.
- You can cope with and overcome temptation with the help from aftercare and groups like Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA).
- You can also use the experience to learn from other people's mistakes as well as your own.
- If you are an attendee of AA or NA, you will in all likelihoods get a sponsor that you can call whenever you find yourself in a situation that could be tempting you.
- In the case of the stumble or fall you can take help from this network.
- You will find out that you are stronger than you think.
- If You Are In School, Go And Speak To Your Advisor
- You can meet new, clean peers by getting in touch with the students that have been to treatment.
- You will want to avoid some of your former friends that are maybe still using alcohol or drugs.
- You can learn to live a drug or alcohol free life with the help your new friends.
- Use The Techniques You Learned In Treatment
- While you were in rehab, you were taught skills to cope with triggers and peer pressure.
- If you end up in situations where you are faced with temptation, you can make use of these skills to help yourself.
- All it takes at this point is to put into practise what you learnt.
- If you find a need for more help with coping with you can definitely call us or your aftercare counsellor.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Recovery is a long process and treatment is not a shortcut. One of the best methods you can use to stay clean is by looking for a good aftercare program. Your road to sobriety can also become easier if you communicate with your family and if you create a support system. No precise suggestion can ensure that you will always stay clean, but a personalised mix of suggestions in addition to what you have learned from the treatment can certainly give you the valuable tools needed for a great life.
When it comes to recovery, using the method that has worked for you before will work for you again.